Home Municipalities
Municipalities
Tubod

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    At the Southern part of the province of  Surigao del Nortestood the town of Tubod. Town is famous for the spring (Tuboran), which it derives its name of Tubod. The spring is so large that when fully developed can supply the sufficient water needs of the whole town and its surrounding Barangays and Sitios. Irrigation of rice land chiefly gets their source of water from this spring. The first inhabitants of the place are mostly immigrants from the Visayas and neighboring provinces of Mindanao. It was founded by the late Agustin Mendez, called this town Tubod, meaning “SPRING” or Tuboran in our local dialect.

Read more...
 
Tagana-an

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Tagana-an was first established as a Pueblo in 1876, and the first Capitan del Pueblo was Miguel Alfon. The first Paish Priest was Padre Jaime Plana, S.J. a respected parish priest in the Caraga, who celebrated the first town fiesta in July 16,1877, in honor of Our Lady of Mt. Camel. The town also celebrates the day of St. Joseph, every Mach 18-19th. Prior to this, Tagana-an was a Visita of Placer along with Timamana, Talavera, and Mainit.

Read more...
 
Surigao City

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    The City of Surigao was formerly known, according to Fray San Juan Francisco de San Antonio as Banahao, San Antonio, in his “Chronicles” written in 1738, described Banahao as located at the northern head of Mindanao within there is a good port for ships called Bilan-bilan.

Read more...
 
Sison

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    The ancient name of the municipality of Sison was “Bugkusan”, which means “to tie or bind together”. The name signifies the desire of the people to unite, to blind themselves together to establish a community.

Read more...
 
San Francisco

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

There has been many stories concerning the origin of the town but the most common is about the two lovers, Anao and Aon. Anao was a handsome, strong hunter who fell in love with Aon, the most beautiful woman and daughter of a powerful datu, who ruled the town, which was formerly a barangay. Anao and Aon vowed to be true to their love, despite the datu’s objection. The datu wanted to break their love, however, he failed since the lovers were found dead near the riverbank in cold embrace. Thus, the name Anao-aon in memory of the two lovers.

Read more...
 
Placer

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    The Town of Placer was founded by Captain Felipe Custodio together with Capitan Luis Patino in 1850. The place is a plain, along the shores and surrounded by hills with three (3) creeks, the Egdoy creek, named after the landowner; the Jagimit springs named after a vine and the ando ceek, named after the landowner. The creek enable the people in washing the glacial deposit containing gold. Thus Felipe Custodio named the place “PLACE”, which means, mines and happiness because the people were happy and prosperous enjoying the rich resources of gold, abundant supply on various kind of fish and bountiful harvest from the rice fields.

Read more...
 
Malimono

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Legend has it that the name MALIMONO was derived from the Spanish word “MAL MONO”. One day, long time ago, the Spaniards visited the place. Feeling weary and tired, they took rest by the side of the cool spring at the foot of the cone- shape rock facing the Mindanao Sea now called Punta Beach. While enjoying the tranquility of the place and soothing sea breeze, a smart giant monkey from the top of lauan tree jumped over and grabbed the provisions the Spaniards brought for themselves for that day. Quite smarter than the monkey and being worried of getting starved, the Spaniards engulfed with rage shouted at the top of their voices “MAL MONO”. Since then, the place was named “MALIMONO”.

Read more...
 
Mainit

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Up to the present, the history of Mainit is still hardly reconstructed. Except for a few records of the Catholic Church that did missionary works in Mainit and some scanty references of anthropological studies conducted on the peopling and people of the Philippines by foreign authors, few have been said about the history of Mainit.

Read more...
 
Gigaquit

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Gigaquit is one of the oldest municipalities in the Province of Surigao del Norte.  It was once the mother municipality of Bacuag and Claver which became separate municipalities in 1918 and 1955 under Executive Order Nos. 61 and 126, respectively.  As borne out of historical writings, Gigaquit was founded in 1850 by a native named Cero who fortified the town and made it safe from Moro depredations.  About this time, priests from different religious orders christianized the natives and made Saint Agustine, Bishop of Hipo Africa, as their Patron Saint.  The Saint was said to be miraculous since he never failed to protect the people even after the town was raided by Moro pirates where he showed this first miracle by drowning the raiders in a sudden storm.

Read more...
 
Claver

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

Brief History of Claver
1888-1955

    Since the time immemorial the present site of Poblacion Claver was a virgin swampy land dotted with dry land called Claver in the dialect “Taposoc”. The biggest dry land is now the Claver Sport Center site and the Roman Catholic Church yard, respectively. The said place is adjacent to a river, which was rich in marine products such as crabs, shrimps, shell and different fishes. In the different dry land spot grew big trees. Some of the trees bear edible fruits. Different kinds of birds built their nests in the trees making them as their permanent homes. That particular place was attractive for human beings to settle.
Read more...
 
Bacuag

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    Bacuag is considererd an old establishment founded in the 16th century. The original community was first established in Panhutungan. But some years later, this was abandoned and the people transferred to another place, now called Lungsod Daan,in the shore near the already well-established town of Gigaquit. In 1851, a super typhoon hit and destroyed the settlement. This made the founding elders to petition the authorities in Manila to transfer the settlement to a safer place. This petition dated March 2, 1853 was signed by a group of Kapitanes, namely; Simon Efren, Antonio Odjinar, Agustin Opalia de los Santos, Juan Ugay Mariano and Cipiano Orquina Francisco. This document was offficially endorsed by Fr. Gregorio Logronio, parish priest of Gigaquit. This petition was approved and consequently, Bacuag was transferred to its present site in 1855.

Read more...
 
Alegria

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

    The history of Alegria started in the year 1920’s under the governance of the mother town Mainit. It was founded by the people who migrated from the municipality of Bacuag. Alegria was originally known as Sitio Anahaw located near the shore of lake Mainit and the river bank of Magtiaco River, one of the major tributaries of the said lake. The Sitio was always over flowed during rainy season and this caused the early inhabitants to move to higher ground and safer place southward near the provincial boundary which they called it later “Alegria”.

Read more...
 
Page 1 of 2

Who's Online

We have 10 guests online

Menu

Online News Center
Photo Gallery
Video Gallery
Email Us
Guest Book

Link Website

AmazingSiargao
Siargao Game Fishing

Downloads

Official Seal

Forms

Socio-Economic Profile

Map

Facebook Fan Page


www.surigaodelnorte.gov.ph
Surigao Del Norte