Welcome to Surigao del Norte
Surigao del Norte (Filipino:Hilagang Surihaw) is a province of the Philippines located in the Caraga region in Mindanao. Its capital is Surigao City. The province consists of three major islands—Siargao Island, Dinagat Islands, and Bucas Grande Island—in the Philippine Sea, and a small region at the northernmost tip of the island of Mindanao. This mainland portion borders Agusan del Norte, and Surigao del Sur to the south.
Surigao del Norte is the second northernmost of the Mindanao provinces and is an important transportation hub between Visayas and Mindanao. Numerous ferries cross the Surigao Strait between Surigao and the island of Leyte carrying vehicles and passengers between Liloan in Southern Leyte and Surigao City.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Surigao del Norte
A Message from GOVERNOR SOL F. MATUGAS
Warmest greetings from the Province of Surigao del Norte- a place where diversity of nature is at its best with its wide variety of natural resources, products, and attractions- the haven of opportunities and enjoyment.
Over the years, Surigao del Norte has continually flourished in terms of its Local Economy as its poverty incidence has significantly declined. I pray that everyone will be able to develop the sense of appreciation to what Surigao del Norte has become as we continue to maintain the balance of development and protection to our natural resources and preserve our rich and beautiful culture and heritage. May the public be informed of the important attributes the province has to offer to every individual, especially to the investors as they discover its beauty and enjoy the best options for business, leisure and travel in our dearly loved province.
Clear with our goal to continually uplift the province’s status for the welfare of every Surigaonon, the Provincial Government will continue to implement and strengthen its developmental projects, programs, and activities that will promote socio-economic step up thru the implementation and strengthening of the HEALS (Health, Education and Environment, Agriculture and Aquaculture, Livelihood and Tourism, and Social and Spiritual Services) agenda.
Marajaw karajaw Surigao del Norte!
History of Surigao del Norte
Surigao del Norte was once a part of an old territory that existed in Northeastern Mindanao called "Caraga" named after the people called "Calagans" who were believed to be of Visayan origin. They were the inhabitants of the province that time.
In 1538, Francisco de Castro, a Portuguese-born Spaniard in the expedition from Ternate in search of Loaisa, landed on what presently is Surigao del Norte province. Thereupon he baptized the inhabitants to Christianity.
Historically, the early Spanish settlements were established in Tandag. In 1638, the Recollects had a residence in the towns of Tandag, Butuan, Sidargo (Siargao), Bislig and Linao, a town located in the interior of Agusan.
It was on February 1, 1752, a year after the town of Siargao (Numancia) was burned by the Moros (Muslim Pirates), when the Recollects residence was transferred to Surigao.
In 1860, six military districts were established in Mindanao. Surigao and Agusan, including the territory lying between Butuan and Caraga Bays, formed the third District called the East District which was later changed in 1870 to "Distrito de Surigao".
In 1911, during the American Regime, Agusan was created as a separate province with Butuan as its capital.
It was on June 19,1960, through Republic Act 2786 that Surigao was divided into two provinces : Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur.
CREATION OF THE MUNICIPALITIES
Under this set-up in 1750, the census listed Pueblos are reflected in the census of 1750. The lower units of government consisted of the visita and the reduccion. Military components, corregidors, were placed whenever necessary.
Mindanao was subdivided in six (6) Districts, now transformed into a political-military government.
Under this set-up the Distrito de Caraga was established with the capital in Tandag (Surigao del Sur). The capital was moved to the Pueblo de Surigao when the town flourished in 1750, until the district was recreated as Distrito de Surigao, (1859) consisting of 24 towns with Surigao as the capital.
The American colonial government, thru Public Act 947, recognized the local government system and many towns were converted into barrios in 1904. The Province of Surigao retained only the municipalities of Surigao, Placer, Dinagat and Dapa. This could have terminated the corporate existence of many Pueblos – Sapao, Numancia, Cabontog, Tagana-an, Mainit and Claver.
While some municipalities gained or regained their status albeit some had new names during the American period as in the case of General Luna (1929), Bacuag, Gigaquit, Mainit, (1931) subsequently towns were created after Philippines Independence of 1946.
1 city, 20 municipalities, 335 barangays
442,588 (2010 CENSUS)
219 persons per sq. km.
Pop'n Growth Rate:
1.52 % (1990-2010 CENSUS)
Cebuano, Surigaonon, Boholano, Tagalog, English
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE...
The province is made up of twenty (20) municipalities, one (1) city and three hundred thirty five (335) barangays. It is divided into two Congressional Districts. District I comprises the islands of Siargao and Bucas Grande with nine (9) municipalities namely: Burgos, Dapa, Del Carmen, General Luna, Pilar, San Benito, San Isidro, Santa Monica and Socorro. District II includes eleven (11) municipalities and one (1) city namely: Alegria, Bacuag, Claver, Gigaquit, Mainit, Malimono, Placer, San Francisco, Sison, Tagana-an, and Tubod with Surigao City as its provincial capital.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE...
Location and Physical Profile
Surigao del Norte is located at the Northeastern part of Mindanao between 125o 15’ to 126o 15’ east longitude and 9o 18’ to 10o 30’ north latitude. It is bounded on the North and East by the Pacific Ocean, on the South by the Provinces of Agusan del Norte and Surigao del Sur and on the West by the Surigao Strait.
Capital: Surigao City